Anaesthesia is the practice of medicine dedicated to the relief of pain and total care of patients, during and after surgery. Every surgery and procedure has inherent risks. Even normal labor, innocuous as it may seem, is fraught with risks. The anaesthesiologists make sure that any surgical intervention goes smoothly and safely i.e. providing ideal surgical conditions without compromising patient’s safety.
Types of Anaesthesia
These are 3 main categories of anaesthesia used in surgery –
- General anaesthesia
- Regional anaesthesia
- Local anaesthesia
It’s used for major surgeries. Patients are given medications that help induce sleep or loss of consciousness as the patient goes through the surgery.
It’s used to produce extensive numbness in the area to be operated upon. It includes –
- Spinal anaesthesia
- Epidural anaesthesia
- Field blocks / Plexus blocks
- Nerve blocks
It’s used for minor surgeries. A small area or region is made numb by infiltrating local anaesthetic drugs while the patient remains fully conscious.
The Department of Anaesthesia at Asian Vivekanand Hospital
As safety of the patient is our overriding concern, we at Asian Vivekanand Hospital combine the best of manpower and latest in technology & equipment to maintain our state of the art operating theatres.
Our theatre complex comprises of two spacious well designed major OTs, one minor OT and a post-op recovery room. Our main OT is modular, state of the art, high tech area replete with rubberized floor, epoxy- coated walls and air filtration systems and Temperature controls.
The theatre complex is fumigated & sterilization is certified regularly to maintain very high order of sterility. Continuous staff training & regular preventive maintenance of equipment helps maintain maximum efficiency and the highest levels of patient safety.
Our operating theatres have high tech equipment like –
- LED surgical boom lights
- Centralized gas supplies
- Modern anaesthesia work stations with high-tech vaporizers
- Operating microscopes (Zeiss)
- Cardiac monitors with both invasive & non-invasive monitoring for BP, ECG, and CO2
- Diathermy machines with underwater cutting
- Instruments for Endoscopic surgeries
- Image intensifiers for orthopaedic as well as minimally invasive vascular surgeries
- Infusion pumps
Heading not visible
Our anaesthesia team includes highly trained experienced senior anaesthetists, associates & junior staff who evaluate, monitor and supervise surgery & provide total patient care before, during and after surgery.
We provide high quality & safest patient centred anaesthesia care. Our team members have more than 18 to 20 years of clinical experience which enables us to diagnose & treat any problem that may surface during or after a surgical intervention.
Our Anaesthetists’ team provides expert support to following disciplines –
- General Surgery
- Obstetrics & Gynaecology
- Cardio thoracic surgeries
- Bariatric surgery
- Liver & Renal Transplant
- Paediatric Surgery
- Cath lab for PTCA, permanent peacemakers
At Asian Vivekanand Hospital, we have anaesthesia care delivery clinics where expert anaesthesiologists serve the patients at multiple levels.
1. Pre-anaesthesia evaluation clinic
Pre-operative assessment of patient on outpatient / inpatient basis with comprises of
- Relevant medical examination
- Special investigations if needed
- Organizing autologous bl transfusion
- Treatment started to render the patient as fit as possible before admitting for surgery
2. Optimization of condition of sick patients in intensive care units (ICUs) before taking up for surgery.
3. Post-op care in Recovery room / ICU until patient is stable and vital functions can be pressured without assistance.
4. Pain Clinics
We offer pain alleviation at multiple levels
- Pain management – Post surgery
- Massive Trauma
- Medical condition (Rheumatic disinfection)
- Cancer Patients
- Labor analgesia
We are experts at managing pain with not only pharmacological means but also by way of long acting / neurolytic segmental blocks & Extradural / intradural infusions.